NZ Violence Prevention Association
Welcome to the NZVPA website
We are a group of professionals committed to preventing violence in New Zealand's future and assisting others to stop violence in the present.
We formed to provide services which will assist our members in their work stopping violence, abuse and disrespect in our homes, workplaces and community.
Our members provide services to the public that
- assist people to live peacefully
- support men and women who have been hurt or distressed by others
- help children who have experienced violence or who do it to others
We serve the whole community
We engage in community education and training that will help the public reduce conflict and live more peacefully. We have particular expertise in working with Māori communities.
NZVPA is committed to working more holistically to prevent violence:
- with the whole person
- with the whole family
- with the whole community
More information on this in our violence FAQ.
We set standards that ensure the best possible chance of change in the people with whom we work. And hold people to those standards through training and accreditation.
We also are committed to open enquiry on how we can do this better.
We are particularly committed to changing public attitudes that support force, abuse and taking away freedom for people to live violence-free lives.
Aims of NZ Violence Prevention Association
Our main aims are to work to prevent violence by:
- education that will prevent violence
- changing the current system that focuses on violence after it has happened to one that prevents it happening
- changing beliefs and attitudes to violence that are likely to endorse, permit or encourage violent action
- stopping violence by intervention through peaceful means and promoting respectful programmes to stop violence
- examining the conditions that increase a person's likelihood of choosing abuse and disrespect
- promoting alternative behaviours to violence
- identifying and researching the conditions in which violence is likely to be an outcome and seeking to change them
- promoting the healing of damage that contributes to the likelihood of violence
- breaking the cycle of intergenerational violence
- holding people responsible for violent acts
Membership of NZ Violence Prevention Association
NZVPA welcomes membership of people and organisations who hold similar values.
Information on membership of NZVPA